Friday, February 26, 2010

Where were you on the evening of June 12, 1997?

I know where I was that night. I was one of 46,507 people enjoying this:


2010 Topps History of the Game #24 commemorates the night Interleague Play was introduced. By virtue of being located in the Central Time Zone, the San Francisco Giants and Texas Rangers played in the first Interleague game. I'm not sure which player is featured on the card, but it is definitely a Ranger.

Here are a few firsts from the game:

First Pitcher: Darren Oliver

First Batter: Darryl Hamilton

First Hit: Darryl Hamilton, single in the top of the 1st.

First RBI: Billy Ripken, bottom of the 2nd

First Homerun: Stan Javier, top of the 3rd.

First Win: Giants

Mark Gardner earned the win and Rod Beck got his 20th save while Darren Oliver took the loss. There were three other Interleague games that day. Unfortunately for the Rangers, they were the only AL team to lose as the Angels beat the Padres, Oakland beat the Dodgers and Seattle took down Colorado.

I still have the program, ticket stuf and a few other souvenirs from that first Interleage game. Now I have a card to round out the collection.

5 comments:

  1. I am not in favor of inter-league play. Sure, it's great for fans of New York Teams, Chicago, and a couple of others. My beef is with the Detroit vs Arizona type series. There are way way too many dogs. The novelty has worn way off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interleague logo is amazingly hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm over the inter-league thing as a whole. I do look forward to seeing the Cubs play for the first time ever when they come to play the Rangers this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interleague is starting to seem quaint and out-of-date, yet MLB is going to make it so it happens every day. They WILL brainwash us!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, too bad the teams you really want to see play each other still won't be matched up!!

    ReplyDelete