Monday, March 22, 2010

I'm Baaaack!

Vacation was great!

Except for the stomach virus.

And my wife being sick the whole week.

But, hey, I wasn't at work so that's a plus. I busted a few packs of 2010 Heritage (ok, a few packs and TWO blasters) and I'll show the highlights soon. I redeemed a few more code cards from the highly addictive Topps MCG. I completed three trades of note on the site as well and that's going to be the focus of my return to the blogosphere. Yea, I said it, B.L.O.G.O.S.P.H.E.R.E.

First up, a couple of MCG trades I completed during the week.

I redeemed this card early on:



Someone really wanted/needed this 1966 Dick Stuart, because they offered me this for it:







I didn't think about that trade too long. A couple of days later, somebody came along who wanted the Marichal card and offered me this:





I've always liked Brooks Robinson so I took it and look forward to holding this 1973 edition in my hands....someday. I've already had a couple of offers for this one, but it's going to take a nice offer to pry this one away.

Another card I was fortunate enough to "unlock" early on was this one:




I didn't really have any intention of trading this 1954 Frank Baumholtz. It's not like Frank is a HOF'er, but it represented my first and only 1954 card, even if it is in some Topps storage facility. Well, someone offered me a 1958 and 1959 card for it. Before I even really had time to think about it, the offer was rescinded. No big deal I thought. Then the same person offered me this deal:




1971 Frank Tepedino

1969 Chuck Cottier




1959 Roy McMillan

1959 Tito Francona

I deliberated on it for awhile and then started talking myself into how great the '54 Baumholtz card was....that great old Cubbie logo and it was a '54 for goodness sakes! Well, like the child I am, I was unable to decide without a little help. I put out a couple of emails to people I trust in the vintage arena and with a slight clubbing (just kidding), I realized trading one vintage card of a guy I've never heard of for four vintage cards of guys I've never heard of was a good deal.

I put out about 40 or 50 trade offers of my own in the last couple of weeks and the biggest problem with it seems to be that people aren't checking their accounts. I'm sure many people have lives and can't check in frequently, but seeing that trade offer die on the vine is a little frustrating. That's why I made so many offers last week and will continue to do so. I don't think I'll be sending away for the cards I want until later.

How about you? Have you "ordered" your cards yet or are you waiting?

5 comments:

  1. Tito Francona? Aka Mr. Red Sox Manager? That's a really cool card...I definitely think you won out on the trade even if you did give up some awesome in return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually it's Francona's father.

    I have placed an order for three cards. I want to see how the whole thing works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back! Minus the sickness, I hope you had a good time.

    I only have six or seven of the MCG cards and I do not have anything special. But, I have tried to trade every single card I have to a guy that has an '82 Denny Lewellyn card. But, he is one of those that got one card and never checks his account. I'm glad that you have been able to make some good trades, though.

    When I'm sure that I won't be getting any more codes (are they going to be in Series 2?), I will probably pay for all of my cards. I plan on getting them all signed TTM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mooss.

    Owl, I'm interested to hear how the process works.

    Z--I believe they are supposed to have code cards in series 2 and UH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to have you back Brian. Sorry to hear about the sickness, I spent my weekend hurling as well. Hope you got some R & R on vacation and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete