Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cards from the Old Man Part 15: Billy Williams

This is the fifteenth in a series of posts about cards I received from the old collector in our town who had library catalogs full of cards from the 1950's-1970's. You can see those original posts here and here if you missed them.

The old man practically threw this card at me. He hated the Cubs and my friend, who made more trips back to the old man's house, got a lot of old Cubs cards. I didn't know who this guy was, but I took the card anyway. Even to this day, I don't know much about him other than his numbers, so I don't appreciate him the way I should. When I received this card the best thing about it was it was my first card from my birth year. It would be the only 1970 card I had for a number of years.



1970 Topps Billy Williams


Billy Williams played 18 years in the majors, 16 with the Cubs and 2 with the A's. He had some amazing numbers. He scored 1,410 runs, had 2,711 hits, smacked 426 homers and drove in 1,475 RBIs while hitting.290. Throw in 90 steals and that's a real nice career.



Williams was the 1961 Rookie of the Year and a 6 time All-Star. He hit 20 or more homers 14 times with a career high of 42 in 1970. Williams was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1987 by the BBWAA.

No comments:

Post a Comment