Friday, April 30, 2010

The state of local sports

I'm curious about the state of local sports where you live.

Here in Dallas it looks something like this.

The Dallas Cowboys went 11-5 and won their division. Playoff payoff...nope.

The Dallas Stars went 37-31-14 and finished dead last in the NHL's Pacific Division. To add insult to injury, Stars fan favorite Mike Modano may be leaving/retiring. Playoff payoff....maybe next year.

The Dallas Mavericks just finished the regular season 55-27, their 10th straight year of 50+ wins. They got handled by the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs 4games to 2. Playoff payoff...not really.

That leaves us with the Texas Rangers. I won't say that my favorite time of the year is when the Rangers are the only game in town, but it does keep me focused on the game I love the most. Of course the Rangers are 10-12 and already have as many blown saves as converted saves (5). They are only 1.5 games out of the division lead.

People around here are really quick to lose interest in baseball if the Rangers aren't playing well and I expect to hear the Cowboys talk start up in earnest any day now. The local sport radio station will be talking Cowboys. The local papers will be talking Cowboys. There is nothing worse than seeing an off-season Cowboys story on the front page of the sports page while the Rangers get relegated to page 2. Such is life in what will always be a football town and football state.

I'm not complaining about being a 4 sport town (well, we're spread out so it's more like a 4 sport region). I just wish the Rangers got a little more love.

So, what's it like in your city?

5 comments:

  1. Pretty much the same in my town. ;) I still can't believe it's over already. I sure hope Dirk doesn't exercise his option and leave. That would really suck! Let's hope the Rangers get on a roll soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate all the teams in my area so I have no idea what you're talking about. ... Oh, wait, there's the Sabres. Yeah, they're done. Bills are awful.

    By the way, I wouldn't want to live somewhere where football is the topic 12 months of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my town the A level minor league is 13-7 which is pretty good. The roller derby team is going for their first win this Sunday. Thats it... There are other teams in the area... A hockey team that no one cares about, a football team that everyone talks about but is pretty horrible and will be for a while and then there is a baseball team. Things are pretty good I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  4. our "paper" talks about the Flames throughout the winter... September - May, then in the summer, they talk about the Flames off season.

    Other than that, they talk about the Flames.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All college and high school football and basketball here. Hate it! The local radio station will even cut off the World Series for high school football. Argh!

    ReplyDelete