Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Long distance Pursuit

As I rapidly approach 40, I'd like to start my own pursuit of the '80s, but for now I'll settle for cards from The Pursuit of 80's(Ness). John was nice enough to send along one of those unexpected packages. It contained a nice assortment of Rangers along with a couple of unopened packs from the height of the junk wax era.


I have to admit, I ripped this the second it came out of the package. I know it's not like I'm going to pull any great cards, it's just that I hate to see a pack left unopened. Those little guys were made to be opened and I won't be satisfied until every last pack within reach is opened and sorted. Here is the best card from the pack.


You can stop laughing now. That really IS the best card from the pack of 1991 Topps. The back of the card says Bobby Thigpen's 57 saves may be a record that lasts for ages. Francisco "KRod" Rodriguez managed to notch 62 saves in 2008.

Here we have the other unopened pack, 1990 Donruss.



This Nolan Ryan was easily the best card in the pack.


Now for just a few of the other cards John sent along.


I have to admit, I forgot Don Zimmer was EVER the Ranger's manager. This 1982 Donruss card proves it. Zimmer managed the Rangers in the strike shortened 1981 season and also part of 1982. His overall record was 95-106 and he was replaced by Darrell Johnson after starting 1982 38-58. Johnson faired no better, leading Texas to a 26-40 record.




I'm not fan of 2010 Upper Deck, but I was hoping to get this Ballpark card of the Ballpark in Arlington. It might have been nice to get a picture without the truck and trailer in front of the stadium.

I haven't bought any Topps Attax cards, but I keep getting them in Series 2 packs. I don't know if those are different than the regular Topps Attax cards or not. The next card WAS a definite surprise.


This Scott Feldman is different than the one above. It says Hot Streak down the side and I'm guessing that is some sort of parallel.


This was another of the 2010 Upper Deck cards John included. I hadn't seen this one and it was quickly snatched up by my son who is developing a nice little Nelson Cruz collection to go along with his growing Michael Young collection.
Thanks a lot John! I'll be looking for some cards to send your way.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I bet I opened 100 packs of 91 Topps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that Zim managed the Rangers. Nice card!

    ReplyDelete