Wednesday, November 16, 2011

It never ceases to amaze me

I'm always surprised at the generosity you find across the blogosphere. People will send you cards just because they want to send cards. No expectations of anything in return. That's part of what makes this whole blogging thing fun. I try to be generous, but I don't think I've ever done what Rod over at Padrographs is doing. He's mailing out many of his "extra" cards from 2011 to just about every team blogger he knows.

I got a nice little stack of Rangers and a few others nice cards and I have to say, I've been feeling blah lately and this really made my day.





The top card on the stack was this Captain America Dr. Arnim Zola. I looked forward to Captain America coming out for 2 years. My oldest son is very into the Marvel Super Hero movies and Captain America is one of his favorites (thanks to getting some of my childhood comics). I was a little underwhelmed by the movie, although I would like a turn in that machine that turned him from pipsqueak to muscle man. Not because I'm a pipsqueak...more the other direction.






My favorite non-sport card in the box was this very nice Thor Jane Foster card. I've always liked Natalie Portman aka Queen Amidala. Thor is another of the Marvel characters and like Captain America, he's scheduled to appear in The Avengers (May, 2012) that finally brings the Marvel characters together.




Rod also sent baseball cards. I know I didn't have this 2011 Bowman Chrome Alexi Ogando. I'm still shaking my head over Ogando's playoff performance this year. He's good and I hope he isn't one of those one-hit wonders.






I thought I had seen everything there was to see from 2011 Topps, but I've never seen anything like this Josh Hamilton Diamond Anniversary insert. It says HTA-5 on the back so I'm guessing this is NOT available in retail packs. It's always nice to receive a card I've never seen before, it's just not often it happens with new products.





I got a blue refractor version of this 2011 Chrome Alexi Ogando auto in one of The Daily Dimwit's recent group breaks. I never thought about the other versions, but this regular one will look nice next to the blue. Now, if someone could just work with Alexi on his auto.

Rod, thanks so much for the generous package! I'll be looking for some way to repay it in the near future!

3 comments:

  1. Rod just sent me a package too. Completely agree that the generosity from bloggers like Rod is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you building the UD Captain America set?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an FYI, that Josh Hamilton is part of a set of 25 cards that you could only get from LCS's (local card stores). You would buy a pack of 2011 Topps every week and the dealer would give you a card in exchange. It's a nice set. By now some dealers may have them just lying around and might just give them to you. The HTA stands for Home Team Advantage, which is what Topps calls its program for LCS's. You'll also see that term on jumbo boxes of its product.

    ReplyDelete