Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I'm not a one-dimensional collector

I do prefer Rangers, but I like other players too. So long as they are catchers. Or Will Clark.

I recently picked up some nice additions to my Joe Mauer collection from a Twins guy. You might have heard of him, "e rayhahn, rayhahn". He won one of my contests not to long ago and sent along a little thank you package. It wasn't necessary, but I certainly do appreciate it.




I know what you're thinking. "Hey, that's not Joe Mauer!". No, it is not. It is a neat little oddball Nolan Ryan. It looks like it might have been cut from a 1991 Fleer box because it has a blank cardboard back. I can say with out a doubt that I did not have this in my collection.




I'm guessing this 2008 Upper Deck Joe Mauer shows the end result of a play at the plate. I can't tell anything about the game, the date or the player involved, but I'm thinking he was out considering Joe is showing the ball to the ump.




The surprise of the package was this little beauty. It's a 2008 Allen & Ginter mini Joe Mauer jersey complete with pinstripe. I never bought any A&G back in '08 and this is a really nice addition to my Mauer collection.

David, thanks so much for the generous package. I hope you and your family have a wonderful 2012.

3 comments:

  1. Nice A&G relic.

    That Nolan Ryan is indeed from a Fleer box bottom.

    See my post using the same card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about those 91 Fleer box bottom cards...nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some guy brought in to the LCS literally DOZENS of the A&E relics that he'd cut from their frames; the LCS owner let me have that one cheap -- glad you liked it. And thanks again!

    ReplyDelete