Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Kids on the Sandlot are generous

Joe over at The Sandlot sent one of those packages.

You know the ones. Unexpected and awesome.

His note said he opened a box of 2010 Bowman Chrome and had some USA cards for my son. All of you guys and gals are on my good side, but if you want to get on the good side of the good side, send something for my son. To me, that's just about the most generous thing you can do. It's also one of the reasons I love blogging...the community and the people that make it up.

Joe didn't just send cards for my son. He threw in a few for me too.





I reall like Topps Gallery and this 1998 Rusty Greer is no exception. According to the back, Greer drove in the winning run in Ranger's last at-bat 5 times during the 1997 season.




"Hey Mom, I got my first Bowman Chrome card!" Unfortunately it shows Carlos tying his shoe on the bench. Not exactly cutting edge photography.





Here is one of the 6 USA cards Joe sent. I picked it because I had heard of Bubba Starling. I looked Starling up to give you some info on him and saw that his agent is Scott Boras. I suddenly lost interest.

Joe also sent over three great 2009 UD Piece of History cards.

Being a former Navy guy, I can appreciate any card that is a historical look at our military.





The attack on Pearl Harbor took place on December 7, 1941.





That led to the U.S. entering World War II.





On the other side of the world, the D-Day Invasion, shown in wonderful and harrowing realism during the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan, occured on 6/6/44.

Joe, thanks for another great package of cards. My son really enjoyed adding to his USA collection.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting widely unknown fact is America didn't enter the war in Europe until after Hitler declared on the United States, after he tried getting Mexico on his side, promising them their previous owned land California!

    ReplyDelete