Saturday, March 17, 2012

Who's the Dimwit Now?

Anyone who has ever been in a group break knows that it's a real crapshoot. You might get lucky, but the odds are you won't. The beauty of a group break is that you can get cards you need and have a shot at something nice for a fraction of the price of buying three or four boxes yourself.

I just happened to get lucky in The Daily Dimwit's March Group Break.

One of the random teams I ended up with was the Pirates. Normally I wouldn't be too excited about the Pirates, but I was contacted by someone about a Rangers for Pirates trade so I needed some bait.

One of the hits of the break was this 2003 Topps 205 Brian Giles bat.





Now I just hope it's something Brian from the Pirates Treasure Room might want.


The hit of the break, at least from my perspective, was this card.




My disdain for Mark Teixeira is only exceeded by my disdain for Alex Rodriguez, but as a team collector, I'm obliged to seek out Tex and Arod cards from their Texas days. As cards go, this 2003 Playoff Portraits Mark Teixeira is beautiful. The other side revealed something I never expected.





This is a very limited Tex auto, #9/15. Like him or not, that's a pretty nice hit for a group break and one that I'm very happy to add to my collection!

Thanks for the great pull Sam!

1 comment:

  1. Every time you show a Rangers card of Mark Teixeira I am SO glad that I don't have to collect cards of him (and SO glad that the Dodgers now have a legitimate power-hitting first baseman!)

    ReplyDelete