Tuesday, September 11, 2012

If only everyone could win...

As I said yesterday, the September Contest had 595 entries.  That's 595 comments on posts.  Some of them were simple comments like "I'm in", but the majority were relevant to the post they were made on, so it was great fun to read.  I actually read a few comments from posts that I had completely forgotten about.

One more set of numbers that stand out from this contest are the hits for the three days it was live.  As the blog approaches it's third birthday, I'd never had more than 522 comments on one day (that was a contest too).  On the three days this contest was up, the blog got 643, 742 and 743 hits.  That's a three day total of 2138 hits.  Wow!  Obviously, most of them were the same people looking for posts to comment on, but it's still amazing for this little blog.

Ok, so on to the three winners.  I don't know how everyone sets up their blog, but I get an email every time someone comments on one of my posts.  I took ALL the comments for the period of the contest and put them in a new folder.  Once the contest was over, I used a random number generator to pick a number between 1 and 595.  The comments were in chronological order so I counted down to that number and that was the first winner.  I then took all of that persons comments out of the contest folder and repeated the sequence two more times, each time using a smaller number to reflect the removed comments.

Before I reveal the winners, let me just say thanks for all the great comments and participation.  It was great fun reading through all of them.  Two people left more than 100 comments (Richard Nebe Jr from Dawgbones, a Phillies Phan with 213 and Night Owl with 103.)  Unfortunately, neither of those guys was a winner, although they may find a little something in the mailbox in the near future.  The three winners were...

The Daily Dimwit (63 entries)
P-Town Tom from Waiting 'til Next Year (6 entries)
irondequoit from Old Foul Cardboard (19 entries)

Congrats to the winners!  I'll be buying you each a rack pack and mailing it out after payday (the 16th).
Go ahead and email me your address if you don't mind.  It'll speed the process.

Thanks everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hilarity ensues!! "I'm in!" wins!!! too funny!
    I was wondering how many I'd gotten in as well!!
    It was immense fun! Congrats Sam, P-Town Tom (which P is your town?, two of my dogs are P-Town pups - Portsmouth, Va.), and irondequoit!

    Dawgbones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P-town is for Peoria. I used to be just "Tom", but I found there were Toms out there. Huh, go figure. Plus, I like the alliteration.

      Delete
  2. "6" wins over "213"

    That's truly the definition of "random."

    ReplyDelete