Monday, June 24, 2013

2013 Topps Series Two: Blaster Edition

Allow me to acknowledge the fact that I lost my last grandparent last Tuesday.  My grandma went to be with the Lord and I'm confident I'll see her again someday.  She was suffering mightily and I believe she's in a better place.  It's strange how you only see certain family members when there is a wedding or funeral. 

I love you grandma.

Hopefully, going right into my blaster of 2013 Topps isn't disrespectfull, but grandma was always supportive of my hobby.  When I first started buying cards back in 1981, she would come by to visit and give me a dollar, which would buy three packs of 1981 Topps with change left over. 

Today an 8 pack blaster costs $20 plus tax so I guess progress isn't always a great thing.  That being said, Topps is Topps and almost all of us buy at least SOME flagship so here's my take.  I bought a blaster and a hanging box.  I won't keep you in suspense and this probably won't be a surprise to most of you, but the hanging box offers a better value in my opinion.  Maybe I'd think differently if I'd pulled a different manu-patch. 

Here goes...

My first series two base card was this guy. 




It's not exactly a notable card with the exception that Salvador Perez appears to have just hit a walk off homer.  If  that's the case it was probably the September 15th game last year against the Angels.  Billy Butler tied the game in the bottom of the 9th with a two run shot and Perez followed that with the game winner.  Just remember this card when you see my post about the hanging box. 




Another base card that caught my eye was this "hey I just hit a homerun" pose by Hanley Ramirez.  Anyone think Sandy Koufax might have given him one at the noggin his next time up? 




I'm no Angels fan, but that appears to be a Rangers retro uni running by first.  Safe I might add. 




Anyone else think Brian Roberts was sure Bryce Harper was out? 




I think this is a catch in which Craig Gentry robbed Joe Mauer of a homerun.  You can check this link out.  It has videos of two Gentry catches.  The latter catch is Mauer's blast to center.  You'll notice in the video a fan running out to what they call Green's Hill. You can see his shadow on the video and on the card too. 




I don't even know why I included this card. 




Are these supposed to be Museum knock offs?




I pulled a couple of Chasing History inserts.  One of the main differences in the blaster and the hanging box is you get the gold version in the hanging box.  At least I did.




A couple of A.L. West minis. 




A couple of A.L. West Emerald parallels. 




 A very poorly cropped (by me) Chris Sale Cut to the Chase insert.

The blaster had 20 blue bordered Walmart parallels.  No Rangers, but three Giants.  Go figure. 




And last, but maybe least, is my manu-patch.  Lucky for me I have a number of Braves collectors that I trade with.  I'm sure I can move this thing.  Even though I'm not a big fan of these, there are still some that I'll want for my player/Rangers collections.  *Sigh*  Topps has to go a make everything so difficult. 

I guess the chase is part of the fun. I'll have some hanging box fun for you later today or tomorrow. 

3 comments:

  1. a number of Braves collectors????

    I'm hurt.

    There can be only one.







    now I have to go watch Highlander again....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your empty blaster box was neatly opened, and you have no need for it, would you mind setting it aside for my Mike Trout collection?

      Very sorry for your loss. Praying the Lords comfort for you.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your Grandmother. We will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. My Grandmother was also supportive of my hobby when I was younger. She would pick me up a pack every now and then from Epler's Dairy farm. She would also get me the baseball sticker albums and stickers around the holidays as well.

    ReplyDelete