Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Time Marches On

It's 12 years since that horrific day that none of us will ever forget.

I don't want to forget it.  I wish it had never happened, but I don't want to forget it.  Remembering what happened that day keeps me vigilant at my job.  I know I joke about doing all this blogging stuff at work, but my job requires me to be vigilant on behalf of my company and the people we employ around the world.

Keeping an eye on all the real world madness is one of the reasons I like collecting cards so much.  Cards have an amazing ability to divert attention away from a host of real life situations and take me back to a simpler time.  A time when 11 year-old me didn't have anything more serious to worry about than the math assignment Mrs. Parks gave that day.

Speaking of distractions and time marching on, I recently found a couple of trade packages that had fallen behind my desk.  These came into my forgetful little paws back in March.  MARCH people!

The first one is from Brad over at the aptly named Brad's Blog.

He had purple Rangers that I'd never pull because I don't get cards at Toy's R Us.  As a matter of fact, since my kids are 11 and 13, I don't shop at Toy's R Us anymore.  My loss?  I don't know, I hear their cards are priced higher than normal.



Here we have a current Ranger, Geovany Soto.




How about some former Ranger goodness?  Mike Olt is now a Cubbie and I won't hold that against him.




Neftali is back on the roster and has pitched 3.2 innings this season.  We'll see how long it takes him to get back into form.  If ever.

Brad sent over an assortment of other cards and they were all much appreciated.

The second package that fell behind the desk was from the one and only Night Owl.

Oh, it had a few Opening Day Rangers, but that's not the important stuff.  The important stuff is right here.




1975 Topps Ferguson Jenkins.  Don't fool yourself, that's no ordinary Fergie.




That's a minnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!  Along with 4 other 1975 minnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis!!!!  Night Owl is the 1975 set guru and no one loves minis more than him, but apparently he had a few to share and I'm really glad to add these to my collection.  That 2012 Finest Mike Napoli refractor was in the package too, but I'm only showing it so you can see the miniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis!!

Ahh, that feels better.  Thanks for the packages guys.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like someone needs a handy dandy rolltop card desk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You act as if posting cards from March is being behind. I would love to be into March. I might be by next March, though.
    --Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purple Rangers are perfect parallels. Red + Blue logo = Purple border. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete