Saturday, December 7, 2013

Shipmates

I run into people all the time who served in the Navy.  They served in a variety of years and not necessarily at the same time I served.  We are all united by the common bond that is the Navy.  We are all shipmates.  

I feel that connection to everyone who has been in the Navy.  That includes the men and women who died 72 years ago in the attack on Pearl Harbor.  




I've mentioned it before, but I was stationed at Pearl Harbor from 1991-1994.  It's one of those places where time marches on, but you can sense the history of the place. I'm glad I was in the Navy and felt honored to serve at Pearl Harbor and carry on in the place of those people who died so many years ago.


3 comments:

  1. Pearl Harbor is one place that I'd love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see the memorials over there. You can feel the history weighing on you when you are that close. I've been to the Wall, and I still get a lump in my throat when I think of that experience. The other thing I just told my wife the other night, I;d love to rent motorcycles and ride around the island, I think that'd be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One time, I saw an old vet wearing a USS Arizona hat at a restaurant. I so wanted to go up to him and talk to him about that day. But, I didn't want to be weird or bring back any dark memories, so I did not. There are not too many men left that served on that ship.

    ReplyDelete