Friday, April 4, 2014

I feel lost

Tragedy is a word that is over-used.  People use "tragedy" to describe things that are really just unfortunate events.  Don't get me wrong, tragedies are on-going all over the place.

The recent Fort Hood shootings.  The mystery surrounding the missing Malaysian Flight 370.  Those families are living out a tragedy every day.

Something happened to me yesterday that in my own little narrowly focused world is a tragedy.  In real terms, it's just an unfortunate event and one that might even turn out to be nothing if I get lucky.

Yesterday I lost my flash drive.  The one with nearly 5 years worth of scans that I've used on this blog. Hundreds of hours of scanning, cropping, editing...lost.  I know what you're thinking.  "You had a backup right?  You're not a complete dumbass, right?"  

I have the first couple of years on another flash drive.  I copied them over to the "lost" one when I upgraded to one with more memory.  I did not have a backup of the last three years worth of scans.  I AM a dumbass. Sorry to disappoint you, but you're not 1/10th as disappointed as me.

There is a chance that the flash drive will turn up at home.  I remember taking it out of my shorts pocket as I changed into jeans (yes, it's shorts weather now here in Dallas) at home and that's the last I can remember.  A few minutes later we left the house and when I headed off to work last night, it was nowhere to be found.  I didn't store it in my normal place.  It wasn't in my jeans pocket.  It's possible I set it down somewhere different.  It's possible it fell out of my pocket somewhere when I got my keys out my pocket.

*Sigh*

If it turns up, I will make a backup and store it somewhere safe.  If it doesn't, well, what can I do?  I'll have to get over it.  It's not like it's a real tragedy.  Just me being stupid.


9 comments:

  1. Duuuuude! You must have missed my post from a few weeks ago when the hard drive of my laptop crashed while I was backing it up. Lost several years worth of custom cards plus the past year's worth of scanning cropping etc my Cubs collection.

    Sure these are "first world problems" but it still sucks. Hope it turns up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. No doubt.

    Got my own story like that, too. Five years of collecting baseball images. I still have the hard drive and look at its dead carus every once in a while and sigh.

    I feel ya. Hope you find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but blogger (at least for me) keeps ALL of the pics I've put on my blog on Picasa. I have no idea how to get them off of there without them disappearing off of my blogs...
    I know this because when I got a new phone, all of the images popped up in my gallery even though I didn't want them to.
    Thanks google.

    Does it not do that for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that. I hope you find it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a picasa account? Because somehow Picasa grabbed every single image from my blog and saved it. I can't tell you how I did it because it was completely accidental but if you want all the scans from your blog Picasa will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine was in the bottom of the clothes washer. Maybe you could check there. Haven't had a chance to try it out and see if it still works though, but I can (sort of) feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think everyone now-days has a similar story dealing with their computers. I few years back, when the 3.5 "floppy" was still in wide use. I had one disk that got messed up, corrupted somehow. I don't recall when it went bad, but I do know that I had 2 or 3 short little stories, poems or story ideas included on it, I don't recall what else was on it. Unfortunately those were my only copies of whatever I had written. I think I still have the disk somewhere in the hopes of spending $1,000s or however much it costs now to retrieve "lost" data from a disk if the data is still mostly there.

    ReplyDelete